Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - camera shy!

At various points this day I've attempted to capture images of this lovely visitor to my butterfly bush. He seems to know when I peek around the corner with camera in hand, for he will delicately rise from his feast and float over the stockade fence, lighter than light itself. Yet when I amble toward him without a camera, he stretches his wings and combs through the buddlaea buds, drinking minute drops of nectar. First photo is a fleeting image of Mr. Eastern Tiger with his swallowtail wings folded, sipping from my butterfly bush. The second photo, for identification, is courtesy www.botany.wisc.edu/spalding/naturephotos and actually depicts a female Eastern Tiger.

At one point I was out there trimming back plants and Mr. Eastern was prostrated, resting on the bush as two brilliant orange monarchs feasted beside him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bird of Paradise is such a graceful pose. I haven’t been able to do it yet myself. Leeann Carey, an amazing teacher, has a great free yoga video on this pose. Thought your readers might want to check it out: http://www.planetyoga.com/yoga-blogs/free-yoga-video-birds-of-paradise-pose/