Thursday, August 4, 2016

I'm back - Lunch Walks

It's time to start keeping this blog again. My theme will be yoga as in the past, but I'm adding lunch walks.  Just to keep me motivated, nothing fancy just fun and fitness.

On Monday while walking I was rewarded with the sight of two juvenile hawks.  You could tell they were juvies by their behavior - it seemed as if they were recently fledged nest siblings.  They were hawk playing, sort of playing tag across the street and into the woods on either side, and calling out to each other.  It wasn't an adult hawk cry, the piercing "kriyeee!" sound.  It sounded baby-ish in a hawk way. So I went to my trusted Cornell website, allaboutbirds.org and discovered they are juvenile Cooper's hawks.  Sure enough, the "food delivery to nest" sound was the call they were making.  "Where's Mama with lunch?" Have a listen: Click food delivery to nest

On Tuesday I was feeling Ga-RRRRRRREAT! from the very barre-ish Classical Stretch episode I'd done that morning - from Season 10, Episode 1007, "Power Up Your Legs." Had a real bounce in my step, back feeling good, practically dancing along! I got to the same spot and heard the food delivery to nest calls and sure enough, there were the young Cooper's hawks - joined by a third! What a display they put on, two deeper in the woods and vocalizing to each other while the third flew across the street to a tree branch where I had a great view. He sat and preened. I ran to the little island in front of the guard shack on Pequot Trail near the Mashantucket Pequot Museum and observed. Camera? Nope. :(

Wednesday, not feeling quite as good. Legs actually sore from Miranda's tai chi plies. But, camera in hand I ventured out. No sign of the Cooper's hawks - they are fully fledged and have gone out to fend for themselves in the woods of southeastern Connecticut. I wish them well, and thank them for the adventures. 

Note the long tail, a Cooper's hawk trademark. They are smaller than red tailed hawks - a little larger than a crow.


No comments: